View Single Post
Old 16 Sep 2010, 02:57 AM   #21
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Howard View Post
OK, I think I have a solution for you. Please take backups first in case this doesn't work.

To Sync when you already have GMail and FM contacts:
  1. Download your FM addressbook (probably vCard / Mac OS X format would be best)
  2. Upload that file to GMail contacts
  3. Use GMail's "Duplicates" command to merge all your contacts together
  4. Delete all your FM contacts
  5. On the sync service screen, clear all sync state (if you've ever used it before)
  6. Sync!
It would be great if you could try this, and let us know how it turns out. It doesn't matter whether it's FM or GMail that's empty to start - it's just important to realise that on the first sync all contacts are copied in each direction, without attempting to merge duplicates.
I'll give this a try. However with all the upcoming Jewish holidays (plus trying to stay caught up at work) it may be a while before I try it, since I want to make sure I have everything backed up and all before taking the dive. ;-)

As for your suggestion of possibly going the other way (delete contacts in Gmail, not fastmail), not a chance, I have all the addresses, phone numbers, etc. in my contact book there!! Fastmail it's basically just the email addresses.
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote