View Single Post
Old 26 Oct 2018, 04:13 PM   #17
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

I did an O365 trial a couple of years ago. Perhaps things have changed since then, but I found that, as an email product, it was quite inferior to FastMail.

In O365 you had to set up DNS yourself, which wasn't a problem for me but would be for less technically inclined people. Hosting DNS at FastMail was a much more pleasant experience in terms of email setup.

O365 had a quite bizarre and mostly useless implementation of email aliases and mailbox addressing. On the sending side aliases add obnoxious "sent by" headers so the fact that you're using an alias isn't transparent. The documentation was awful too. FastMail aliases were easy to set up, they don't announce themselves as such, and how aliases move email about made a lot of sense.

Any O365 alias could be used as a login, which is a straight up security no-no. On FastMail my email login address and my domain addresses (which redirect to my login email) are separate. You cannot guess my login by knowing what domain addresses I'm using.

O365 didn't use or understand vCard so I couldn't import my address book. It had to be manually reentered, and if I wanted to leave I couldn't export it for use at the new provider.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote