Thread: .tel
View Single Post
Old 17 Feb 2009, 04:16 PM   #13
mattlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
I have read the link and if I understand it correctly ordinary mobile phone users have to know that there is an alternative method of finding a phone number. Is this correct? If so they must know in advance that a particular person has registered and know that persons .tel domain. They cannot randomly type in a name because there are millions of Adam Smiths in the world. Using the domain .tel the mobile phone user has the added cost of using mobile internet to get the phone number.

If my understanding is correct I fail to see the logic of using .tel. The mobile phone user has to be given the .tel domain name as a contact details so why not just give the user your mobile phone number?.

Also, would you not want two .tel domain names one for personal and one for business use?
Vans, at least one directory is planned by Telnic. It's at www.telpages.com and should start working soon after Feb 25th when all current .TEL names start resolving in the whois. Personally, I'm more interested in being able to give out my .TEL as a business card to people I know. Whereas my competitor may give a prospect a mobile phone number, I give them a shorter, simpler 'token': my .TEL name. It's easier for them and instead of just my phone number, they get all of my contact information and the guarantee it will never be out of date. Hopefully a few people will give me theirs and my days of updating my address book start coming to an end.

.TEL names are hierarichal, so you can use business names for individuals or individual names for business. For example you can have johndoe.xyzcorp.tel and janesmith.xyzcorp.tel, but you could also set up your own personal .tel to include your business info as in xyzcorp.janesmith.tel. Setting up these sub-domains is very easy with the administrative interface presenting sub-domains as sub-folders. You can set up a free demo .TEL and try in out at www.telnic.org/vip.