View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2018, 08:31 PM   #47
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
To the consent extremists here - if you're a FastMail customer - have you gained consent from every one of your correspondents to share their details with FastMail?

They could know you use FastMail by resolving the MX servers, and confirming that their emails are going to FastMail. Do you believe you have the right to leave FastMail and take your email to a different email provider without confirming explicit consent from every person who's emailed you?

Because that's what we're talking about here. ...
I think that when any of my friends or other contacts gave me their email address they did so in the expectation that I would use it to send email to them and in return they could send emails to whatever address I gave them. Whether they are experts in email system infrastructure or not they surely know, as I do, that email itself is insecure and that the details of our messages and headers etc will be visible to many people (if they bothered to look) and computer systems en-route. I doubt that any such people care whose systems the emails are on. None of my friends bother to [PGP] sign let alone encrypt their emails, so they're obviously not that bothered.

I don't think that's what the issue is here.

I think you really haven't grasped how those of us who use the primary email address JUST as a login and never for sending email feel about that value being exposed. Don't get me wrong, knowing that I can change that value helps a lot.

Would you give a username for one of your internet banking accounts to anyone else? Would you be happy with a bank who gave such a username to a survey company?

I /do/ get newsletters from you, and enjoy reading them. But you send those to my 'secondary contact' email address, not the primary one, thank goodness.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote