Thread: Forwarding
View Single Post
Old 20 Apr 2020, 08:04 AM   #9
Beebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do, but couldn't you just use IMAP or POP to pull all the Fastmail email into the other non-Fastmail account instead of forwarding?
I signed up with Fastmail with the goal of moving some or all of my email storage and management off of my ISP and onto an independent email service. I might eventually set up my own web domain and use Fastmail to handle my internet domain’s email. That way I could have a my_name@my_name.com email address that’s permanent and is not tied forever to one ISP or email provider.

I don’t intend to have email forwarded from Fastmail to my current ISP indefinitely. I thought forwarding from Fastmail to my ISP might be a good short-term way to see all my email in one place (on my current ISP) while I learn more about Fastmail and determine how much of my email activity I want to transition to Fastmail. Depending how comfortable I become with Fastmail, I may at some point use Fastmail as my primary email service. Then I could stop forwarding email from Fastmail to my ISP and instead move it in the opposite direction. And, if it seems worth the effort, I could notify all my personal contacts that they should use my Fastmail (or my own web domain) address instead of my old ISP address, and I could stop using my ISP’s email altogether.

I use Microsoft Outlook on Windows 10 to read most email. As you suggest, I could set up an IMAP or POP account in Outlook to retrieve my Fastmail email. That would likely avoid the Fastmail forwarding issues I’ve encountered, so I’ll follow your suggestion.

I remain curious about forwarding, though, because I like to know when I make user errors that I can correct, and I like to understand how things work as well as my technical ability allows. So I’ll continue to experiment with forwarding.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Beebes is offline   Reply With Quote