View Single Post
Old 24 Apr 2018, 04:45 AM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Dutchie, why are you so keen on Russian email services? (if the answer is political in nature, just ignore this question as it would violate the forum rules. If it's about the quality of the services, then please do answer, I'm just curious)

I know Russia has some of the best antivirus systems in the world (Kaspersky etc), so it could be a matter of quality. If you know how to protect yourself against malware, it could also lead to better security in email services that use the local techniques.

Mail.ru has a very bad reputation for being used for spam or malafide activities, a reputation it doesn't deserve since it is so widely used in Russia ... if you have millions and millions of users, you can simply not avoid that occasionally someone will abuse your service. That says nothing about the service itself, and for sure some people abuse Hotmail or Gmail too...
The only Russian service I heard nothing but bad news about is da.ru, a provider of third-level domain names (yoursubdomain.da.ru). Those services are generally a bit amateurish looking but most of them aren't associated with spam or malware (think the many .de.vu, .eu.org, .co.cc, .co.nr, ...) while .da.ru subdomains were used for very dodgy websites. Subdomains of narod.ru are used for regular websites though.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote