View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2017, 01:07 AM   #15
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
My concern is that the people who paid $12.95 or $14.95 15 years ago, and expect never to need to pay another cent for their email service are just the kinds of people that will feel entitled to free support on complex forwarding issues whenever they should arise. My gut feel is that it would just be setting Fastmail up for future grief.
Yup, I agree with you there. The very fact that we're hearing people use phrases like "class action" suggests that there's an unfortunately aggressive sense of entitlement here, so I can totally understand if Fastmail just wants to "cut bait" to avoid future problems in this area, but it would be nice to see a middle ground that would be reasonable for both sides, as I can totally understand the point of view of folks who felt that they were paying for an unchanging email address that would exist at least for the life of Fastmail —*to again play devil's advocate, there's a valid point to be made that some of those folks would have been better off using Hotmail for free.

All of that said, however, while I recognize that 2002 was a totally different era for the Internet (heck, Gmail was only a gleam in Google's eyes back then), I really do wish more people would understand that you get what you pay for, and expecting any online service to be sustained for little or no money is unrealistic — they're either making money by advertising or they're making money from the users.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote