View Single Post
Old 10 Jan 2017, 02:02 PM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
This is a problem because deleting attachments gives the message a new ID (it has to, we're physically rewriting the message, and IMAP UIDs always map to an immutable message)

Deleting attachments is a feature we offered to help people manage their mailbox with small quotas. None of our current plans have small quotas, so optimising for this case isn't a priority.

Regards,

Bron.
Thank you for the feedback. I guessed the problem was something of this nature. What puzzles me a bit is that the problem used not to exist. Is there no way of forcing the message to be immediately reloaded when the message id changes?

While 15 GB (legacy enhanced subscription) or 25 GB might seem a lot, if you are receiving 100-200 emails per day and want to keep a full history, the mailbox fills up pretty quickly unless getting rid of large attachments. This probably impacts relatively few users, but I have two customers who are badly affected. Moving messages before deleting the attachments works, but there is no way doing the move, deleting the attachment(s) and then being back into (usually) an Inbox to continue working.

I was waiting to see if the problem was going to be fixed. On the assumption that it will now not be, I am going to suggest they modify their workflow. I am unsure how well this will be accepted. My idea is that, rather than delete attachments as they go, they have a saved search that shows all emails with attachments received in the last, perhaps, 7 days that are larger than 500 KB. This would be sorted with most recent messages first. They could then work through the message list, deleting attachments as desired. I think this will be workable, but people hate changing their everyday work methods.

Anyone see a better workaround?
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote