View Single Post
Old 3 Apr 2024, 06:55 AM   #12
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Another change in the current beta interface is in the listing of folders/labels at the left. Any folders (or labels) which are sorted to appear after the system Trash folder are separated from the standard folders and are subfolders of a new Folders (or Labels) folder. You can open Folders/Labels to see all of your folders, or close it to hide them, producing a very clean simple basic interface without the list of folders/labels. In addition, the + (new folder/label) and folder/label search icons are adjacent to that Folders/Labels top-level heading.
For me it doesn't work like that: the collapsible "Folders" (that used to be at the top in the previous version on beta a couple of days ago, and not collapsible) is below all my folders, and above my saved searches. so it "contains" only the saved searches. I suspect that this is because the last folder in my list of folders is the system "Spam" folder that I don't use, so I moved it to the bottom and made it hidden many years ago. So perhaps the true location of the collapsible "Folders" container is after the last system folder. ... So I tested it and dragged the Spam folder to an upper position, and the "Folders" container is still under the "Spam" folder, but now includes lots of folders "in" it.
Above it are many system folders that I would really like to be in it because I either do not use them, or I rarely need to access them (and also some folders that I prefer to have above them, because I filter incoming mail to them).
So I'm quite glad that this "Folders" container is now collapsible (I asked in my beta feedback a couple of weeks ago that it would be, and also the containers of the of shared folders from other users (so when one browses mail folders of anther user one can collapse one's own folder tree which is a bit in the way). I'm a bit disappointed that I cannot shove all the system folders that I rarely have to directly access into this collapsible container.
Another difference between this collapsible container and ordinary folders is that when one drags a message to an ordinary folder that is collapsed, the subfolders are shown, so one can drop the message into subfolders, and after the message is dropped the folder returns to collapsed mode. I use this a lot: I can have most of my archive folders inside a collapsed folder and still I can easily use file messages in them. The "Folders" container doesn't work this way.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote