View Single Post
Old 4 Apr 2008, 07:40 AM   #1
shelmart

Problems with incoming mail

Hi, I've been a Runbox customer for quite some time (methinks about 4 years) and am generally very happy with the service. However, of late I have been trouble with some of my incoming mail, despite not having made any changes to any of my settings (although I have recently made some changes to try to better manage my spam filtering and other filtering).

For a very long time, I had my account set to detect junk mail, to save it to a folder called 'junk mail' and to reject if possible. My mail pretty much always seemed to come through; I received all the periodic newsletters that I had signed up for, and mail from family and friends seemed to be coming through -- at least, i wasn't getting phone calls from folks wondering why I hadn't replied to their email.

A couple of months ago, things started going wonky. Newsletters that I had been receiving for several years stopped coming in. Friends started calling asking why I hadn't replied to emails -- but I hadn't received the emails they were referring to. I tweaked my junk mail settings, from "reject is possible" to "use trainable spam filters." Once I did that, I noticed messages being saved to my junk mail folder; some of them were truly spam, but equally as many were not spam -- and in fact were coming from addresses whose messages had successfully made it through lots and lots of times before all of this started.

I clicked the "Not spam" button when appropriate, read the material in this newsgroup about using filters and made a whack of adjustments to my filters, whitelists, and blacklist, and things started to improve: no more email being incorrectly diverted to my junk mail folder.

I thought all was well, until my dad -- whose address is, and has always been, in my whitelist -- called to ask why I hadn't replied to an email he sent on Monday March 31. I didn't get the email. I thought perhaps my dad (age 79, and fairly internet-savvy for his age but sometimes forgetful) had not sent the message, but he included my brother in the send, and bro DID get the message, and confirmed that I was also included. So, the conclusion has to be that somehow or other, runbox ate a message from somebody on my whitelist.

This is pretty aggravating, and I have no idea what I can do to prevent similar occurrences.

I have the exact date and time that the message was sent; is it possible for somebody at Runbox to check logs to see why it didn't come through? Also, can somebody explain how a message from a whitelisted send can end up not getting through to the recipient?

Also, I'm curious as to why this all started happening a couple of months ago. Is anybody aware of any new spam policies or procedures at runbox that were implemented a couple of months ago that applied much more stringent rules? I find it very strange that newsletters that I had been receiving for years were all of a sudden being classified as spam at Runbox.

And finally, is there any way that somebody can take a look at my filters to see if I have them set optimally?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!

shelmart
shelmart is offline   Reply With Quote