View Single Post
Old 30 Aug 2020, 07:00 AM   #8
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
I did not try this. I am unsure what the correct behaviour should be in restoring messages in Draft. Are you expecting a separate copy to be retained by FastMail every time an autosave occurs?
Yes. That it what used to happen:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvey View Post
For the second time, I just used a great, but massively overpowered tool to get back a paragraph or so.:
https://www.fastmail.com/settings/restore - given the load it presumably puts on servers.
I'm thankful for the restore feature... and perhaps is should have options/a mini version to restore 1 folder, or restore back just 1 hour?
It was also documented here 10 years ago : https://fastmail.blog/2010/02/02/restore-from-backup/
it worked great in May, but now there's a new UI AND it's not working. :-(

... I must admit my own expectation is that the results of restoring messages in draft folders would be rather unpredictable, except that if a draft is deleted, I would expect you to be able to recover the final version before the deletion.[/quote]
I wasn't certain it would work when I first tried it, but I would have though that FastMail would notify users if backup systems became less comprehensive than they had been. Maybe no one realized this had happened.

Anyway, I'm hoping that
A)it's the restore feature that has lost functionality, not that fewer backups are being kept, and a manual restore works. Still 6 days left.

And longer term:
B) the backup & restore functionality can be restored.

C) the clipboard issue can be looked into.

The clipboard bug isn't consistently reproducible, but it's hit me several times. Possibly useful details:
Sometimes (as this last time) I'm just moving something, so I try to paste immediately after performing the cut and moving the cursor. IIRC, I signed(put my name) at the bottom of the draft, cut the last section to move to the top, moved the cursor, and was unable to paste. When I tried "undo", the material cut didn't come back; instead, my signature disappeared.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote