Old 10 Jan 2017, 08:19 AM   #49
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
(1) Accessibility
The new interface works on fewer browsers than the Classic interface.
Do you dispute this?
As BritTim pointed out, the new interface works on every browser that has current security support and is safe to use on the internet.

Quote:
(2) Speed
In addition to the obstacles to workflow introduced in the interest of a 'clean look' [see (4), below], whenever I use the new interface I seem to spend most of my time looking at an animated graphic and waiting for things to happen.
This doesn't happen nearly so much with Classic.
[And it never used to happen at all with the original 'Old' interface, back in the days when Fastmail lived up to its name.]
I haven't quantified this slowing-up on lower-spec computers, but if you doubt my word, I will do... just as soon as I find time to get onto the public computers in the library.
[I am unable to do this at home owing to point (1), above]
Perhaps you don't notice the time between you performing an action and the next page loading in classic. Many actions in the new interface happen in the background and you don't have to wait for them. Every action in classic requires a full roundtrip to the server. On a fast network in New York, classic still feels snappy to me when I switch back to try it. From the other side of the world, not so much.

Quote:
(3) Stability
The new interface crashes more often than Classic.
Do you dispute this?
Sure, classic can't "crash" in your browser because it doesn't do anything there, so any crash counts as more. That said, I have very rarely seen crashes, and they're usually in new features. You should have seen how many things "crashed" in classic when we were actively developing there. Just you saw them as a server-generated outage message or error.

Quote:
(4) Ergonomics
Many controls that are in constant view and therefore instantly available on Classic are hidden away in the new interface behind menus and links.
This means much more mouse navigation and clicking is entailed in the new interface than when doing the same things on Classic.
Do you dispute this?
This is a somewhat legitimate claim. Hiding advanced navigation vs having it visible is a matter of fashion as much as anything, and current fashion is clean interfaces with advanced features hidden. If you use keyboard shortcuts, you have tons of power at your fingertips without mouse navigation.

Quote:
(5) Functionality
Not counting the functions that formerly worked in Classic but have been deliberately removed,
the number of functions that are available in Classic but not in the new interface is significantly larger than the number of functions that are available in the new interface but not in Classic.
Do you dispute this?
Yes, I totally dispute this. You are 100% full of **** on this point.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote