View Single Post
Old 25 Aug 2014, 11:55 AM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I Guess so. I had never heard of the term 'subdomain stripping' before, is the reason I asked the question.....
The term 'subdomain stripping' was a specific Zoho feature (described at the link given before). When an email is sent to a subdomain address such as joe@citizen.example.org, the destination email system has to determine how to map that address into the existing alias structure. Zoho (and Fastmail) allow the subdomain to be stripped (or dropped), so that the message would be delivered to the joe@mainaccount.com alias. Fastmail also allows an arbitrary fixed mapping (such as to sales@mainaccount.com) or a mapping combining the subdomain and the original alias so that the message can be filed in a subfolder (citizen+joe@mainaccount.com). These are provider-specific features for dealing with delivery of messages to subdomains.

I haven't noticed much spam to random addresses at my personal domain recently. Instead of using dictionary attacks (trying a wide range of aliases at a domain, hoping to find active email accounts) I think the spammers have so many email addresses they have obtained in data breaches and in other manners they just use those known-good addresses for the majority of their messages.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote