View Single Post
Old 2 Aug 2021, 07:46 PM   #4
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

I understood the question, more or less, but didn't understand the reason why you'd have so many domains, and wondered if there'd be implications of whichever solution you pick, for other aspects of having so many.

Thinking about this overnight I also realised that I don't understand this bit:

"For many years, email forwarding at registrar or DNS level has been an unreliable solution..."

- in two ways. When you say "at registrar", do you just mean when a registrar has their own mail servers and initially sets new domains' MX records to point at those servers? And if so, the forwarding is done by filters one sets up to operate on those servers? So mails sent by a third party are received by those servers then sent onwards?

- and also: is forwarding "at DNS level" anything other than changing a domain's MX records to point wherever you choose?

For the latter I don't understand why that would be unreliable as - surely - MX records are what always underpin email delivery.

For the former, if it's unreliable it's presumably not the technique that's the problem (provide the ultimate destination will accept the forwarded stuff) but (perhaps) poor implementation of their own mail servers (and forwarding) by the registrar.

And lastly, what's a "vanity domain"? I mean, is it different from a normal personal domain?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote