Thread: vfemail down?
View Single Post
Old 19 Jun 2012, 10:43 AM   #17
music4praise

It went down between 5:30 and 6:00pm EDT yesterday (Sunday June 17). The first thing I noticed was that it couldn't connect to the database.

The web interface was up briefly today. It looked like everything was still all there. I looked at a couple of emails that I hadn't gotten around to. No new email had arrived, however. Obviously nothing is up presently.

Last month I exchanged several emails with the owner. He indicated that his servers have been under unrelenting attack from would-be hackers. I manage a server room in a library myself and can attest to the volume of hacking attempts in general. Many of the recent ones have been attempts to break in through the mail software. It is a bit self-defeating to set the firewall to block those ports while you are running an email service.

Strong passwords on accounts and other common IT measures can do an effective job against being hacked, but your system is still going to have difficulties because the computing resources are being used to reject the hacking attempts. I'm not saying that this is the cause of the current outage, but it wouldn't surprise me.

9:45pm -- just noticed the site is back up.

Last edited by music4praise : 19 Jun 2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Additional info
music4praise is offline   Reply With Quote