View Single Post
Old 24 Feb 2017, 10:38 PM   #6
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
They used to say, that you should never put all your eggs in one basket. These days, the trade off is sometimes difficult to decide (the baskets are moving around) My own choice is to stay as as close to 'open source' as possible.....
Yup, I agree completely on that in principle, and I think that having one's own domain name and keeping data on your own computers is a big step in not really caring which cloud basket your eggs are in ... plus staying with 'open standards' even more than open source.

I've switched my mail/calendars/contacts between self-hosted servers (both Dovecot/Postfix and Exchange at various points), FastMail, Gmail, iCloud, and probably a couple of others many times over, but at the end of the day, if I'm using established protocols and standards for my stuff (IMAP, CardDAV, CalDAV, etc), it's more about choosing which cloud server to syncing my local data with than which one is going to be at the center of my digital life. If anything, Gmail was probably the farthest from that principle for me, although the was largely because I chose to primarily use the web UI rather than IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV or Google Sync clients for my data.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote