View Single Post
Old 27 Oct 2016, 09:19 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson View Post
Well, I have tried a couple of Mail apps without any luck! First I tried the one that is installed by default that has the @ sign in the middle of the icon. I believe it is named eMail. Then I downloaded and installed one that is named Mail. In both cases I logged into FastMail and read their instructions too. Three questions came up:

1. There is one place in the setup where the box is labeled Username. I tried just the name part and then I included the domain name too. Which is correct?

2. Neither one has have a SSL/TSL (or what ever those initials are) combination. I have to choose one or the other. I chose SSL.

3. Our fast mail address has always been in the form username@fastmail.fm Am I supposed to use the .fm or .com?

Can you clarify any of these issues?

Thanks,
Bill
1. To access your Fastmail account (whether through the web client or an external mail client, you must always include the full user name including the @domaon part.
2. SSL should work OK. For reading using IMAP with SSL the port should be 993. For sending using SMTP, with SSL the port should be 465.
3. If you are asking about the server name, that must be fastmail.com, regardless of the Fastmail username or email address(es) you use.

By the way, have you set up an App password, and are you using that password in the mail client setup?
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote