Thread: New TLDs
View Single Post
Old 10 Jan 2014, 11:15 AM   #17
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

As I said earlier, I think that the arguments against additional TLD's are economic in nature, and most of Dyson's comments are related to the economies of this change.
  • You could argue that it was absurd to create a TLD for every country and allow these to be used for any purpose, so that Fastmail.FM (Australians with servers in New York City) have no connection to the Federated States of Micronesia. But I haven't seen any big problems due to those many country code TLD's.
  • Personally, I don't think it's reasonable to pay such a high amount for a TLD unless you have a well reasoned plan to attract users to that TLD. But normal domain names are already bid up to high prices.
  • My guess is that some of the new TLD's will succeed. They will be popular and help users organize their decisions and memory about access to certain content. But others will be dismal failures. That's the way things work in our universe.
  • In our market system, we allow people to attempt to sell things we would personally never consider. I would never purchase a rhinestone studded jacket, but some like them. I would also never buy Facebook stock with the current P/E of 146, but I won't prevent you from doing so. We might individually consider such purchases absurd, but someone else thinks they are rational (or at least desirable) decisions.
  • So I choose to let ICANN set up additional TLD's without my complaint. It's really no different than entering a convenience store and being presented with 50 choices for candy. I choose to walk past all of them.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote