View Single Post
Old 13 Apr 2022, 07:45 PM   #15
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
However, is SimpleLogin under Proton's ownership LESS trustworthy than SimpleLogin all by itself, on its own?
What I have seen happen again and again is that with a buyout there obviously comes a cost, and the new company must make a profit including that new cost of the buyout. That usually means an increase in pricing within the first year or so. And then what happens is the brilliant and enthusiastic person who created the product becomes just another team member in the bigger organization, put in charge of his product and instead of designing cool new stuff he is tasked with figuring out how to make more money from the product. He becomes a manager of people, dealing with spreadsheets and giving others commands instead of actually doing the fun work that created the product in the first place. Eventually, often after only a year or two that creative originator moves on to something else now that he has his new funding money. Who knows, maybe that won't be the lifecycle of SimpleLogin, but it seems to be a common pattern. Another example of the pattern is Javier Soltero and Accompli, the cool email client taken over by Microsoft and turned into the Outlook app. Javier moved up into management at Microsoft and is now at Google. Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't seen much change in the Outlook app for years. Still works pretty good, but seems to have lost its mojo.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote