View Single Post
Old 28 Jun 2017, 06:56 AM   #462
PON
Essential Contributor

> A bigger issue, I think, is the long term erosion of trust. A service like FastMail (unlike big players like Google or Microsoft) relies on a loyal enthusiastic base to sell the service's benefits to prospective new customers. <

I was one once. I signed up DOZENS of people, including many families whom I set up with their own domains. I stopped bothering with the referral credit a long time ago but continued to recommend Fastmail. I don't any longer.

I have a good record of being an early adopter (incl. of Fastmail) and if and when I jump I will be sending an email to a fair few Fastmail users, all of whom I advocated should have their own domains so that they could never, in effect, be imprisoned by the sheer hassle of changing of their email address.

That said I'm sympathetic to Fastmail's case but I think they've not handled it well. In my case I haven't even had the courtesy of a reply to several requests to implement sorting by nickname, which is a very important feature for me and which I believe would be trivial to implement. If they can't be bothered to reply it says clearly they don't give a stuff about my business, even after 15 years.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote