View Single Post
Old 18 Jul 2013, 05:03 AM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Could anybody in this forum who is at the receiving end of jobs applications, confirm/deny that the email address has any influence on acceptance/rejection? Speaking of averages of course, has jsmith@jsmith.tld a better chance of getting to the next step than johnny@hotmail only because the former address is more "professional"?
Not from what I've seen. But this may depend on the company you apply in. I have seen resumes arrive with very silly names (of which they probably thought while drunk) followed by a Yahoo or Gmail address. Really silly stuff prior to the @ sign. They were hired for the job nevertheless.
I think the average company doesn't mind, there will be exceptions of course but I think a well written letter motivating why you want the job is more important than the "from" address.

The only thing I did hear is that some companies block Hotmail emails because they had too much spam in the past from Hotmail users. But again; we probably talk about a tiny minority of HR departments here.

If you wanna be sure how picky the company is; ask the job agency if it is a problem to use your Gmail for this application. They usually know the folks at the HR departments of the companies that they work with.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote