View Single Post
Old 23 Mar 2017, 09:18 PM   #10
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Even those points aside, after years of using both services at different times (I still have a paid G Suite account, but I use FastMail for my e-mail), it also comes down to how you prefer to access your e-mail.

The way I see it, Gmail is great if you're primarily going to access your mail through a web browser on the desktop and via Google's own native iOS and Android apps (Gmail or Inbox), but it starts to fall down if you want to use a traditional IMAP client, because Gmail's way of doing things isn't really fully up to the IMAP specs.

As somebody who uses iOS and macOS devices primarily, my client of choice is Apple Mail on all of those platforms. FastMail works great with that — even to the point of supporting push notifications in a way that's even superior to how iCloud does it. While Gmail can be made to work, and many people are doing it, it's kludgy at best, and Apple itself has had to build workarounds in more recent macOS and iOS versions to specifically support things that Gmail does without messing things up too badly on the client side.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote