View Single Post
Old 23 Aug 2017, 10:17 PM   #9
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
The point of :copy is that it prevents fileinto turning-off the "implicit keep". It doesn't do anything in the above example because the second fileinto doesn't have :copy.

"Implicit keep" means that an email goes to the Inbox (or alternate default folder) if no other action is defined.
Well, it works fine for all practical purposes, and in this case you do want the implicit "Keep" to be turned off in the second case unless you want the e-mail to be left in the inbox.

That said, now that I think about it, you're right that the ":copy" is redundant in this particular case — the two "fileinto" directives would have the same effect without ":copy" so there's technically no need to include it. That said, it does help make the logic of the Sieve construct more clear visually, however, since most people expect "fileinto" to be a move rather than a copy (as evidenced by the fact that, despite a decade of experience with Sieve, I automatically assumed it was necessary until your response actually made me take a step back and think it through again and have a "lightbulb" moment ).
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote