View Single Post
Old 17 May 2019, 11:45 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow A few ideas on reducing false positives

I suggest that you not post the complete full headers of any email (for security and privacy reasons). But you can post these headers:
  • X-Spam-known-sender (yes or no part only)
  • X-Spam-score
  • X-Spam-hits
  • Authentication-Results: Only post these tags:
    • dkim (pass or fail or other)
    • dmarc (pass or fail or other)
    • spf (pass or fail or other)
My suggestion is to always add a sender to your contacts list if you want to get more messages from them. To do this, when reading that good message click on the From name (not the address). You can then choose to Add that contact name and email address to your contacts list. Here are some additional suggestions:
  • In the Settings>Rules screen, enable "Never discard messages sent by my contacts".
  • In the Settings>Spam Protection screen:
    • What is your Protection level setting?
    • At the bottom of the screen in the Personal Spam filter section, are both numbers over 200? If not, please read "Your personal spam database".
  • Read this Fastmail help section and be sure you are leaving your non-spam messages in folders which are marked for spam learning as non-spam.
  • When you receive non-spam filed into your Spam folder, be sure to use the Not Spam button to return that message to your Inbox and mark it in your personal spam database as a good message. Don't manually move messages into or out of the Spam folder to/from other folders.
Whitelisting the From address usually works, but in a few cases the message may appear to have fake headers due to problems in the Authentication-Results section, and the contacts list whitelisting will be bypassed.
  • In this case, the X-Spam-known-sender header value will not be "yes", even though that From address is in your address book. This is usually because the message has been forwarded improperly.
  • You can add a custom rule to file those messages into a desired folder and stop Sieve processing before the spam filter is executed. I had to do this, and we can assist you with the Sieve code. The general idea is to add custom code in the first section (before section ### 1.) similar to:
    Code:
    if 
      allof(
      address :is "From" "foo@example.com",
      header :contains "Subject" "Notification message subject"
      )
    {
      fileinto "INBOX.NotificationFolder";
      stop;
    }
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote