View Single Post
Old 4 Sep 2019, 01:22 PM   #2
jessiemiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
So far I have used Wordpress for website building, but for a side project I'm keen on trying something new. Both Wix and Weebly seem to offer a quite good package for free, and with an easy drag-and-drop system (necessary for a beginner like me who doesn't know HTML or any other programming language for that matter)

I read up on both hosts, both score excellent points on this website reviewing webhosts google street view and from their demo videos both seem easy to use.

A few concerns I had reading and watching the demos though:
- neither of both seems to allow saving a local backup on your hard drive for restoring if anything goes wrong. Weebly allows to save backups of your site on your hard drive in .zip format, but they cannot be used to restore your website if anything happened to it. Wix seems to make backups within their own system as they allow to switch back to an earlier version of your website, but saving a backup locally on your hard drive seems to be impossible, unless "duplicating" your website is what they call saving a backup on your hard drive?
I know you can download a backup of your site using external software such as HTTrack although they call that "mirroring" a website...

- apparently Weebly would block visitors from Russia, Ukraine, and China. I don't know if this is true but if websitetooltester.com is right about that, it is somewhat worrying.

Does any of you have experience with Wix or Weebly? If so, were you satisfied? Would you recommend it?
Wordpress, Weebly and Wix are just PHP backed content management systems; all three do the exact same thing (just in a different way) by allowing you to easily update and manage your site without messing with code.

In terms of SEO, Wordpress gets a better rep because of the ability to customize your permalink structure, (a good url structure is great for SEO!) and optimize your site for speed. (Googlebots look at that too)

Also Wordpress has thousands of plugins that helps you optimize your site for search engines. Notice I said 'helps' because ultimately optimizing your site for certain keywords and phrases is up to you and not Wordpress, Wix or Weebly.

Tbh, I wouldn't say Wordpress is superior because you can rank highly using any of the three platforms. However, I must say Wordpress does make it much harder to get SEO completely wrong because they pay a lot more attention to that aspect than the other two.

Honetly search engines (nor visitors at that) don't care if you're with Wordpress, Wix, or Weebly. They are just looking for a relevent site according to what a person is searching for.
jessiemiller is offline   Reply With Quote