View Single Post
Old 14 Jul 2020, 12:05 PM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Details of All mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb500 View Post
Am I understanding the "All Mail" label correctly? Under this label is every email in my account? When I go to the Labels screen there is a Label called "Archive" which has a few hundred messages, but I can see no way to display just those messages. Apparently they lack a label. But am I correct in that those messages under the label "Archive" will be included in a display of "All Mail"? Even if I can't immediately locate the "Archive" messages?
Yes, in general you are correct. Here are some more details which may be helpful while you are in label mode:
  • Because you can switch back and forth between Folder and Label modes and searches work similarly in both modes, you can see all messages in the Archive folder (which have no label) using this search string:
    in:archive
    You can combine this with other search terms. So to find all mentions of the first moon landing in your Archive folder, use this search string:
    in:archive "apollo 11"
  • As gardenweed points out, in conversation mode some messages in a conversation can have no label while others have one or more labels. So the searches shown above may return some conversations with one or more labels indicated, even though at least one message in that conversation was archived (having no label).
  • I use the following method of adding an UNREAD search inside the All mail icon. This will find any unread message in any folder! Since I have many messages auto-delivered or auto-filed into folders (same as adding labels), this allows me to rapidly discover all recent unread messages anywhere. I use the j/k keyboard shortcut to move between these messages, which become read and so disappear after they are read:
    https://www.emaildiscussions.com/sho...48&postcount=2
  • The Spam and Trash folders are by default hidden from searches, and messages in those folders will not show up in All mail.
  • Sent and Drafts are tags which are not labels. Messages with those tags are displayed with special tags, and the Sent tag looks like a label. But it isn't really a label. All mail will show all Sent and Drafts messages. Templates are really drafts in a special location, so template messages show up in All mail as Drafts.
  • Snoozed messages show up in All mail with an icon which looks like an old-style alarm clock with two bells. The snoozed date is shown rather than the original sent date.
  • By the way, search across all folders is orders of magnitude faster than a few months ago. So don't be afraid of using a complex search if you can't easily find a message in a particular folder/label.
So All mail shows all messages except messages in:
  • Spam
  • Trash
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote