View Single Post
Old 21 Dec 2016, 06:39 AM   #20
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
One thing that I do appreciate about FastMail is that they provide a robust web interface that doesn't detract from "pure IMAP" — while support for things like labels would always be nice, I'd hate to see that implemented in a way that precludes the use of IMAP email clients.
That's been something we've been very careful about.

We have one issue for regular IMAP clients at the moment which fell out of how we implemented XCONVMULTISEARCH way back 5 years ago. If you have messages with \Deleted flag set but not yet EXPUNGED via IMAP, we will nuke them straight away. We had to do that, because otherwise it made the sort mutable in horrible ways, and made everything really slow.

We have a plan to fix that restriction though, and finally remove it.

There's also debate over whether we will allow multiple exactly identical messages in the same mailbox. Same bytes. If we don't, it would be implemented as immediately expunging the old copy when you added a new one, because that's safest against IMAP clients which do something like move-to-current-folder through some bug, and proceed to EXPUNGE the old UIDs.

Certainly, it's going to be a bit complex allowing both UID view and JMAP ID view of the same messages, because we'll have to merge the flags somehow - if you set a flag via JMAP we probably want to set it on all messages, but if you clear it from ONE of the UIDs via IMAP, do you want to clear it from all? Tricky.

I spend an inordinate amount of my day thinking about things like this.

Bron.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote