View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2019, 02:09 AM   #27
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenweed View Post
That's all kinda depressing
Doesn't need to be. You just have to be smart about online security, and realize that just like people want to break into your home, they want to break into your email and accounts too. The internet has matured a lot in the last 20 years, and so has online crime.

We've moved from crunching credit cards, to swyping credit cards, and now we've got chip and pin credit cards. Technology evolves as crime evolves. I'd love to complain about it, but complaining doesn't make it any better.

Put this in perspective. How much thought do you put into securing your home? Average lock for your home costs $100 at the big box stores - my home has 5 of those. Average key replacement for your car costs $250 from the dealer. Alarm systems? Etc?

We haven't thought much about online security, aside from passwords. I don't want to get into it, but systems like Life-Lock have been shown to pretty much be a scam by the FCC. We all need to be aware of what gives the "illusion" of security, and what genuinely *does* give security. Unfortunately, Authenticator codes are looking more and more like the illusion of security, although they are better than nothing.

With all this in perspective, for those that want protection from growing phishing attempts, something like the Google Titan key is quite affordable, $50 for 2 keys. Hopefully prices will go down, and with the rapid expansion of FIDO acceptance, I bet we're going to see it deployed much more broadly in the very near future.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote