View Single Post
Old 27 Sep 2020, 03:42 AM   #41
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

I decided to give HEY.COM another chance since some of the ideas had appealed to me before, despite my other reservations/issues. And my second trial ended up being much more positive than the first time around. I'm still not signed up and paid yet officially, but I will go for it when they release custom domains (hopefully soon, supposedly by the end of the year).

In particular, what I finally realized was more of a personal epiphany about my own email usage patterns, and how I've actually been stressing myself out over the years by my approach. I realized my own current email workflow had evolved into an inefficient, distracting, and often stress-inducing headache, filled with workarounds and duct-tape adaptations, kind of a Frankensteinian mess... In other words, my current approach is *terrible*, and the more I thought about it, actually kind of unhealthy! I didn't know that until after my second HEY.COM trial.

Not that HEY.COM is the perfect answer to what I discovered about my own existing process. But I began to look at it not so much as an email provider per se, but more of a way to reassess how I work, and as a collection of ideas that are pretty well integrated, that I could apply to how I do things and process messages/information much better than I did before.

So I'm planning on signing up in the coming months once they release their custom domain option, and I'll take it slowly. I want to see how it goes just for one domain that I often use for customer support for clients. I don't expect to move tons of email over -- I use several other providers for different purposes/personal/business, etc... But I now want to run a longer experiment and see how HEY evolves, and how my own approach to email might evolve along with it. So it's worth the $99 to me at least for one year, just as a way to help me rethink how I work.

HEY is definitely still figuring itself out, and it's still a 1.0 release, with all that "1.0" means, so it has a long way to go. But assuming they continue to refine some of the rough points that bug me, I think they're on to something good for those who feel like they might benefit from this approach. Again, I'm not saying it's the end-all-be-all answer. But the way they've done it has already made me rethink what I'm currently doing, which is a good thing. And BTW they seem eager to listen to customers and improve -- I've already communicated with support several times and they were outstanding so far.

Anyway, thought I'd post that my opinion has changed, and they have won over a new customer, at least for a one year-long experiment.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote