View Single Post
Old 28 Dec 2020, 05:38 PM   #1
lpn

recommendations for small business email with own domain

A friend asked me to suggest a good provider for small business email with own domain. Here are the requirements that we discussed:
  • The standard ones: very good uptime, standard protocols: IMAP, SMTP. No need of customized app and it should work with standard email clients on desktop and mobile. Web interface is not that important as email clients would mostly be used.
  • Excellent deliverability both outbound and inbound. Outbound volume would be relatively small -- at most dozen emails per day, mostly follow-ups of previous conversations. Initial emails mostly be in response to inquiry either in person or by phone, email or web form. For inbound there should be flexible filtering and definitely an option to disable all spam filtering as the cost of losing important emails could be relatively significant.
  • No minimum number of accounts - should start with 1 or 2. Reasonable amount of disk space -- say at least 5 GB per account. Some reasonable number of aliases -- say 10 for the domain.
  • 2FA for the web interface.
  • Relatively large organization that have been in business for a good amount of time, not one-man-show
  • No email systems provided by webhosts or registrars as these are typically not reliable.
  • No need for Active Sync or similar, IMAP IDLE would be just fine.
  • Ideally, possibility to do branding of the web interface and the IMAP and SMTP servers, but not mandatory.
  • Ideally, option for hiding the sender IP address even when using email client.
  • Reasonably priced, say ~ USD 5-6/mo.

Few provides that I have thought of:
  • G Suite -- not sure if support is good and there have been issues with people losing access to business mail for unrelated reasons, e.g. chargebacks on the Play store on their personal accounts.
  • Microsoft Outlook for Business and Office 365 -- from what I have heard many legitimate incoming emails end up in spam or just rejected.
  • Rackspace -- they have been good in the past but recent reviews have been less than favorable.
  • Fastmail -- from what I have read here, I not impressed recently by their changes over the past couple of years. I have dropped them several years back when they dropped the basic account that was paid one-off.
  • Mxroute -- people seem to like it, but appears to be run by just one person. Pricing is good though, but in this case is not the most important.
  • Luxsci -- seems pricey, haven't seen recent reviews.
  • Zoho -- from what I have read the support is sometimes lacking.

Does anyone have comments on these providers or any other suggestions. In particular, has anyone used servercow.de or mailbox.org with own domain?

Last edited by lpn : 29 Dec 2020 at 12:30 AM.
lpn is offline   Reply With Quote