View Single Post
Old 16 Jun 2007, 03:40 AM   #4
Mechant Loup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
anj, I am surprised you find Thunderbird slow. The only way I can imagine it slow is if you have too many extensions installed.
Try to run it in "safe mode" to check the speed without the extensions.
I find Thunderbird much slower on a fast IMAP server than Pine or KMail, both of which I use regularly. Pine is the fastest IMAP client I've come across. On the other hand, Thunderbird should support IMAP IDLE, if that is of any importance. I don't know if Alpine has added that.

IMAP speed aside, and considering the software itself, Thunderbird is still rather slow, yes, compared to other GUI clients, such as KMail, Evolution etc. Of course, that may have something to do with using GTK on KDE or something.

Alpine is in alpha stage, sure, but for what I've observed on alpine-alpha mailing list, it is quite stable as it is. And certainly, it has not been built from scratch or anything. It is not your typical "alpha" stage software, as people actually use it as their main email client.

Mulberry is said to be rather good, but I've heard it is not developed any more? I personally would not like to settle on email software that will not be maintained. At least not as a "permanent" solution.

Last edited by Mechant Loup : 16 Jun 2007 at 03:46 AM.
Mechant Loup is offline   Reply With Quote