View Single Post
Old 16 Apr 2016, 05:40 AM   #18
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
This. Admittedly, I was impressed with Gmail's interface and do see why it's increasingly popular compared to older servers like AOL, Yahoo and even Hotmail/Outlook. But the trade-off between the nice interface and privacy is too much for me. Having my details sold to advertisers isn't something I'd be happy with.
Your details are used to show you appropriate ads.

They are not sold to advertisers.

Advertisers only ask their ads be shown to people with an interest, say, in home decor or basketball. They are not told which users those are.

Your details are kept secure within Google and used to algorithmically tailor your user experience so it is more useful and related to your interests.

The broad brush of "Google examines your mails!" has been used by smaller players to create fear and doubt around Google, while the notion that "Google uses automated systems to show you options which you will find relevant" is played down, though they are the same thing.

Google is one of the few internet companies that has not reported a privacy breach in the past few years. That is exemplary.

Google sells your eyeballs and your interests to advertisers by using ad space on what you ask for, it is true.

That does not mean that Google gives information on you to advertisers. That would break their privacy policy and make their relationship with you less useful to both you and Google.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote