View Single Post
Old 11 Aug 2017, 12:06 AM   #6
jhollington
Essential Contributor

I've gone back and forth on this a bit over the years, and really I mostly agree with what Bill says about FastMail's simplicity in that they configure all of the records for you, making it really easy to get everything up and running, especially if you're not experienced in the ways of DNS — there are more records to deal with for an e-mail service than for a simple web host (as you can see from Bill's list above), so this is where FastMail excels.

Further, while BritTim's point about having to find another DNS provider in the event of failure is valid, depending on your registrar this may not be as big of an issue. EasyDNS, for example, offers basic DNS hosting with every domain registration, so if FastMail were to suffer a catastrophic failure, you could simply point your NS records back to the registrar and use them.

In my case, I've used FastMail off and on in the past but I've also gone back over to DynDNS, simply because they're "best of breed" for DNS hosting and I have the benefit of being grandfathered in on their standard DNS plan from when they were offering services for one-time payments about 15 years ago so it's completely free. Were that option not available to me, however, I'd likely just stay with FastMail's DNS.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote