View Single Post
Old 6 Apr 2024, 12:24 AM   #30
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
Good luck finding a better ESP than FM. I've been with them 20+ years and have no plans to leave, even if they raise the price. The question is whether the service they offer is worth what they charge. I've always thought so. I can't imagine where else I would go.
A few years ago, I decided to check out other providers just to see what's out there. Doing so did give me a new appreciation for everything Fastmail offers.

Still, one obvious weakness with Fastmail's recent pricing structure was that the service was very expensive if you wanted multiple accounts to use with your own domain. Initially, for a family of four, it would have cost $200 a year. You needed the mid-level account to host email for a domain, and all accounts had to be the same type. It got a little better, down to $140/year, when you were allowed to mix and match account types, but you also lost the ability to use IMAP with the lower account level.

I stayed with Fastmail because I was fortunately grandfathered into the old family plan. If I were to replicate my setup using the current plans, my cost would more than double, and I'd be paying for tons of storage I wouldn't be using. The service definitely wouldn't have been worth the cost If I had been forced to the current plans.

With the new family and duo plans, it does seem like Fastmail is finally looking at addressing an obvious problem in its current offerings.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote