View Single Post
Old 7 May 2004, 07:35 AM   #27
tore

Quote:
Originally posted by mail2me

1) I have currently selected "Yes, reject if possible". The "Yes, save to folder" is Trash but it is not selected. I also have a filter order -2 which reads:
Messages where: "Header" "contains" "X-Spam-Flag: YES" will be: "saved to folder" "Spam" as suggested above by Carverrn.
Actually, the "save to folder" setting is just a filter much like the one you've added manually. It doesn't check the headers, but a flag in the database, but it won't make a difference to you.

The folder in the "save to" setting is used even if you've selected the "reject if possible" option (I think so, at least), so you could just do that instead of adding the filter.

Do note the "if possible" part of "Reject if possible", though. For instance, if the mail is received from POP retreival or sent by another Runbox user from the web interface, this setting won't be used.

Quote:

2) Previously I had also selected "Yes, reject if possible", but the "Yes, save to folder" was Spam but it was also not selected. However, the spam messages continued to file to "Spam" folder. Don't you think this is strange?

I suggested having the "reject" option as a check box (which then could be turned on/off if the "Yes, save to" radio box setting was selected) when we implemented it, and I still think that would have reflected the actual process better. But I don't meddle around in the webapp code at all, so.. shrug

Quote:

3) I sent out a sample message from both my FastMail account as well as my MailSnare account. They both had my correct email addresses as the "From" address. The messages were classified as spam by runbox, but were filed to folder instead of being rejected. Can you explain it?

The reject feature was temporarily disabled a few days ago due to the load it inflicted. A new box -- bolivar -- was installed today to take over that particular task, and I expect to re-enable the feature sometime tomorrow. This new box should also pave the way for extended spam filtering functionality such as per-user bayesian databases, too.

Quote:

4) Can you give me one example of how I can test the reject feature to see that it really works?
You could try sending yourself a mail with the eicar.com test-virus attached (from another system). It will be rejected in the exact same manner as a spam would have been. Or, you could wait until sometime tomorrow and send yourself a "spammy" e-mail, and hope that I've had time to set up SpamAssassin on the new box and make the MXes use it.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote