View Single Post
Old 8 Mar 2019, 11:30 PM   #57
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Sigh. As this is indeed a prevailing perspective/attitude -- and no disrespect intended -- we are setting ourselves up as a society for some major challenges in the future if we don't hold our privacy as a fundamental human right. That should be the basis of these laws, but unfortunately, it's a secondary consideration at best. We are opening the door to repeating very big mistakes of the past. The "I don't have anything to hide so what does it matter?" philosophy is what informs all the bad legislation out there.

The baseline has shifted, the Facebook and Instagram generation has won. We're just on a slowly descending slope to frankly surrendering some of our basic human rights... where a desire for privacy itself is already going to be labeled as suspicious. It's going to be a very rough time in the next couple of decades IMO, and I feel bad for my son and the world we're giving him.

When we look at China or even Russia, with a recent law (as a small example) that just passed that bans disrespect of government -- https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47488267 -- where do you think this is all headed in Western democracies? What kind of philosophical foundation do we want to base our laws on? If we surrender our basic human right to privacy so easily, where does it go from there? It doesn't matter that what is in our email is 99.999% uninteresting or not valuable. What matters is the core principle of how we can expect our personal information to be treated. What matters is related to the core principle of freedom of speech as well, which is eroded one grain at a time with these kinds of laws (and attitudes), until there won't be a foundation left.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote