View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2019, 04:08 AM   #13
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
Once I had my main gmail locked because my account was marked as a spamming account. I love some features of gmail, but sometimes I'm kind of wary of what I put on that account because what if something happened to it? But now that they have 2FA I feel a little better about keeping things there I won't want to lose.
Comments from an ESP-less member:
"something happening to my account" may mean at least two things:
1) you are locked out because e.g. the email provider decides you are a spammer, or you make a mistake entering the password too many times
2) something horrible happens to the provider's hardware/software/company (fire, earthquake, hacker attack, bankruptcy).
As to (2), I strongly believe that the Really Big Players (Gmail, Yahoo, Microsoft's Hotmail/Outlook) are much, much more likely to survive than all sorts of small fry including Fastmail.
As to (1) this may happen with any provider. Of course with a paid account you have a chance to get personal support leading to access restoration, which is usually missing from any free email.

And of course 2FA is available for Fastmail and Gmail. The latter is more proactive/intrusive by e.g requesting a login confirmation when accessing from an unusual location (read: IP address).
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote