View Single Post
Old 24 Dec 2016, 10:45 PM   #1
correo

Which approach for implementing own domain?

I'm about to move my e-mail to a new provider using a custom domain I own. I'm choosing between two excellent providers, but I would have to implement the custom domain in a different way at each. I have tested both methods and they seem to work perfectly. I would like to ask those more experienced than me if there is any practical impact, advantage or disadvantage, in doing it by one method or the other.

Provider A supports custom domains, so the procedure is typical: Set the MX records at my dns provider pointing to Provider A's mail servers, set an SPF txt record, and register the email address myname@mydomain.com as an alias to my primary account with Provider A. Works like a charm.

Provider B does not support custom domains. However, at my dns provider I can enable email forwarding, forward a number of email addresses (all using my custom domain) to the email address at Provider B (it uses their domain). I can also add an spf txt record to authenticate Provider B as a valid sender for my domain. Then I can create an additional identities at Provider B and choose from them as sender of any email I compose. I have tested this and it appears to work equally well.

Is one approach more/less reliable, secure or preferable in any way?
Thanks in advance-
correo is offline   Reply With Quote