View Single Post
Old 9 Nov 2018, 02:19 PM   #5
Prognathous
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Do you really think it's advisable to permanently delete (or even delete normally to the Trash folder) any email when you click on any link in that message?
I obviously don't want it to work for any link in any message, but there's currently no flow that makes selection convenient. The closest I can find is to put my left index finger on the Delete button, the left pinky on the "J" button (for Next) and click the mouse wheel to open links. This way I can browse through many messages, and quickly decide if to delete the email or move to the next. It's not a very convenient setup compared to, and I'm thinking out loud, Ctrl+click to open link in a new tab, Ctrl+Shift+click to open in a new tab and move to the next email, and Alt+click to open link in a new tab, delete and move to the next email.

BTW, another option is - left pinky on "D" button for delete, and left index finger on "J" for next. This requires a slightly less the awkward position than the previous setup, I just need to get used to using "D" for delete and learn to accept the occasional inadvertent scroll that middle clicking causes.

Quote:
How would you view multiple links in an email? Even if this was an option in the setup screen, it would be a support nightmare. I certainly don't want a message to be automatically deleted when I click on any link in that message!
A solution based on modifier keys combos would solve all of those concerns and would be better than anything that's available now, but I don't know if it's technically possible and I assume convincing Fastmail to implement it wouldn't be easy...

Quote:
The EMD notification messages I receive have a size of roughly 8 KB (mostly headers). The cost of storing such a message for a year is much less than 1/100 of a penny (1/10,000 of a US dollar).
Storage is not a concern. After 16 years my 15GB Fastmail mailbox is at 41%. This is all about inbox clutter.

Quote:
If that still bothers you, just use a rule to cause off such notification messages to b auto-filed in a folder and set the properties for that folder to auto-purge (such as after a week).
This is an interesting approach, but I don't know if I want to browse two folders every time I open my mailbox.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote