View Single Post
Old 30 Jan 2017, 07:08 AM   #19
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony17112acst View Post
To me it's like comcast needing to send a technician to my brother's house to work on wiring and my brother needs to ID him (using DMARK) before letting him into the house. It's totally up to my brother whether he checks for ID (DMARC) or not, not the comcast technician. So when Comcast tells me they are not relaying my emails to Freehostia because "they need a valid DMARC record," it's like telling me that the technician didn't go into my brother's house because my brother didn't ask for ID.
That's a pretty good analogy. There's absolutely no reason that Comcast should care whether or not Freehostia has a DMARC record when sending messages to the domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I agree with jhollington -- there is likely a block or connection problem between Comcast and the receiving ISP. It's crazy for Comcast or the receiving domain to complain about missing SPF, DKIM, or DMARC. If the mechanisms fail, then they can complain. But if they are not implemented (no DNS entries) the email should be handed off normally. The spam filters at the receiver might increase the spam score, but they shouldn't refuse to accept the messages.
It's even more absurd, however, for Comcast to refuse to send messages to a system simply because it doesn't have a valid DMARC record published. In fact, this is so improbable that I have to conclude that either the support person at Comcast is confused or not communicating the issue properly, or is simply blowing smoke.

Obviously, it's possible for Freehostia to refuse to accept messages if Comcast's DMARC/SPF policies were incorrectly configured, but as Bill points out, that's not the case — Comcast has extremely relaxed DMARC/SPF records (to the point where there's almost no point in having them published at all). Even in this case, however, the issue would not be Freehostia's DMARC/SPF/DKIM records, but rather Comcast's.

Jesse

Last edited by jhollington : 30 Jan 2017 at 07:34 AM.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote