Thread: Polarismail
View Single Post
Old 26 May 2012, 05:30 PM   #4
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Well, it is technically true that they cannot prevent third-party websites like YouTube from placing cookies on their users' computers. The only alternative would be for them to serve all content from their own servers, which would be not only expensive but also a potential violation of copyright if the content is owned by others. Besides, the EU has uber-paranoid laws about cookies. BBC even asks me for permission to send me their own cookies, not to mention third-party cookies.

Instead of boilerplate disclaimers about third-party behavior that they can't control anyway, I'd be more concerned about sections in various companies' privacy policies that permit explicit disclosures of your personal information to third parties. Links to third-party websites can be easily blocked by using browser add-ons like AdBlock and Ghostery, so you're still in control of your information. On the other hand, you have no control over an e-mail service provider that intentionally shares your personal information with other companies. If you want to be paranoid, be paranoid about the right things!
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote