View Single Post
Old 26 Jun 2020, 06:58 PM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

I finally got a response to this (apart from the first-level one forwarding it to someone else). It was:

Negated conditions can be very dangerous with discard rules, and usually, regular users do not want to do negated filtering on the To headers, and this I believe is why these are not made available with the basic rules.

However, for power users, there is the option of using the 'The sieve condition' look-in, or custom sieve scripting.

I've replied pointing out that:
a) I wasn't asking about discard rules
b) I couldn't care less about "regular users"
c) the question was not about "basic rules" but the more advanced "no-preview" ones
d) that hiding extra logic in a personal Sieve script is not ideal, because you tend to forget it is there

However I was previously unaware of the "The Sieve condition..." condition, which obviously does allow one to have a reminder on the list-of-rules screen. There is however no guidance given to exactly what one can or cannot place in the condition field (one line, multiple lines, do any characters need escaped?).

I'm still not happy that they don't support eg "does not contain" as one of the predefined conditions, nor that they have decided to support different sets of predefined conditions for different fields.

Does no-one else care about this?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote