View Single Post
Old 11 Mar 2021, 11:59 PM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I think the main objection to put all eggs in one basket (domain registration + email + hosting all with the same company) is that if there is an issue somehow, your site and email won't function. If you use a different company for each of them, it isn't as bad as when your hosting and email are both down simulataneously.

That said, I have my doubts myself. I have several domainnames, and am tempted to buy webhosting at the same company. So far I've always used URL forwarding, but I doubt it looks professional. I could of course buy web hosting separately and then link the domain to it while still having a separate webhost and domain registrar (instead of having one company for both) but I'm not sure if that makes sense. I'll probably be paying more and with more technical concerns than if the domain registrar hosts the website too and everything is automatically configured.

As for email and webhosting, in a way the same concern as for domains and webhosting. If your email host is different than your webhost, downtime of one of them won't affect both email and site, but isn't the risk of simultaneous downtime low enough that it justifies having hosting and email at the same company? The benefit is that you have the same domainname for website and email, which many companies consider to be more professional. I guess you can use a Gmail or Outlook.com domain instead, depending on how (un)professional you consider that to be.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote