View Single Post
Old 29 Oct 2018, 08:16 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Searching for noreverse

You can search for all such existing messages with this search:
Code:
header:"X-Spam-source: Host='noreverse' "
A warning: Header searches can be slow on large mailboxes. My main Fastmail account is over 14 years old and I have over 11 GB of accumulated mail, so it’s very slow. I found about 970 noreverse messages which were no spam (most from common senders I trust), and looked at the full headers. So that’s less that’s 1% of my non-spam received.

After using a reverse IP lookup tool, I believe that most or all of the noreverse I received from non-spammers were transient failures for Fastmail to quickly discover a reverse IP. So as you are doing, I would combine this with a high spam score before using this to block messages.

If you have reported at least 200 messages as spam and 200 as non-spam (see the bottom of the Spam Protection setup screen), your personal Bayes database spam filter will kick in. After years of experience, I decided to use custom settings and set my move-to-spam-folder threshold to 1.8 and spam discard threshold to 9.0. From time to time I check this behavior by removing the discard setting and checking the pile of spam. I also use address book whitelisting, which makes it very hard for messages from known senders to end up in my spam folder. If you discard messages from the spam folder they are marked as spam, so be sure to mark any ham in the spam folder as non-spam if they are desired and they will move to your Inbox.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 30 Oct 2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Corrected syntax error (should have single quote then double quote)
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote