View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 2021, 06:29 AM   #2
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Since it's New Year's Eve I have a few predictions for the state of email in 2021. How about you?

1. The big players will be pushing everyone to pay for email one way or another. Google will start making people pay for using more than 15GB of storage on June 1. I expect to see gradual degradation of the free features on Gmail and Outlook.com for those not paying.

2. Hey.com will be gone by the end of 2021. Too expensive for something so specialized.

3. We will see the loss of more and more smaller email players, being replaced by more and more small players. Lots of churn among the small ones because it is hard to make money at it while also maintaining quality.

4. There will be lots of big email security scares related to the Russia hacking scandal.
Agreed with all those except the demise of Hey.com, which is already covering its cost + more, from what I understand, according to some blog post I read somewhere. They only needed X number of paying users to meet the financial needs so far, which they already achieved, and not to mention Basecamp itself has been in business for 21 years and is financially sound from all indications. So I think Hey.com is in it for the long haul, although I do predict they won't grow to be very big... it will be a high-priced niche product loved and adored by a subgroup, emulated by other services, and ignored by most.

But otherwise, agreed completely, and I'll add one more specific prediction, I think more services will launch in 2021 that will focus on "workflow" like Hey.com, Superhuman, OnMail, etc., and/or existing email providers will release features that are similar.

Happy New Year!
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote