View Single Post
Old 29 Aug 2016, 10:39 AM   #11
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshsparks View Post
Clearly, the old Family account was not widely used, or Fastmail doesn't want the business, which is a shame.
I had the same thought that FastMail was looking to shed customers who used FastMail to host their family's e-mail, but from the wording on the pricing page, I infer that that may not necessarily be the case. The professional account is described as "best for businesses," which suggests the basic and standard accounts are intended for non-business users as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I think it comes down to running an email service, I would think that anything under $25 they would be running that account at a loss.
FastMail could have easily addressed that problem simply by raising prices. A lite account for $10 a year is an excellent deal. At $20, it still would be a good deal.

I think FastMail wanted, and needed, to overhaul and simplify its offerings. The combination of individual accounts, family accounts, and business accounts was probably confusing to prospective customers who weren't familiar with FastMail's evolution over the years.

Unfortunately, requiring a standard account to host a domain and the inability to mix and match account levels combine to make FastMail's offering unattractive to, I suspect, most families. Personally, if I needed only two accounts, I could probably talk myself into $100 a year. But if I needed four accounts, which would cost $200 a year, I'd definitely cross FastMail off my list and look elsewhere.

Last edited by placebo : 29 Aug 2016 at 10:45 AM.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote