View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 2018, 09:35 PM   #10
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
The big social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have been good about honoring your settings with regard to notification emails etc., IMHO. They do like to change up the settings periodically just to try to spam you, but there is usually a way to turn those off and they stay off. It's the smaller sites, the odd forums, the organizations you join, etc. For example, I am a member of a couple of professional organizations and inevitably some of the members will download the entire list of members and start spamming them, which puts you on more spam lists, and on and on. Google is quite good about blocking these if you start reporting them as spam. I really do think that Gmail's spam and other filters are so good that you can keep things quite clean with a minimal amount of work. I just try to unsubscribe or block things I don't want when they pop up, and if they don't stop I report them to Gmail and they are gone.
So you would not create a separate email account for signing up to forums and social media?

I was thinking of maybe creating a Gmail account to sign up to forums and social media because, as you say, it's trustworthy and has good spam filters. But I don't know how many Gmail accounts are allowed per person.
I have a Gmail account that I thought would be suitable, but I'm not sure how much I can trust that account after numerous warnings of breach of ToS (even when Google Support said themselves that they found no actual breach, and the last time I got such warning was over half a year ago)

Yahoo could be an option, as long as the security issues are a thing of the past.

Not all networking sites are sparse in communication and messages. MeetUp.com, CouchSurfing, LinkedIn for example are all very respected platforms (= no dodgy service that operates them, widely used globally, they have good reputations) but the amount of messages I get from them is quite high. I don't really mind, but I can imagine not everyone would welcome a large amount of messages, even if it comes from a well trusted platform. Of course the more people you follow or network with, and the more discussion groups you join, the higher the amount of messages ; but sometimes you sign up to a group that you don't use often but still find valuable. That results in quite a lot of emails to go through.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote