View Single Post
Old 2 Jul 2022, 11:58 PM   #5
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

When mail fetching is disabled I get a notification from FastMail.
The last time it happened was less than two weeks ago and the email said:
Quote:
Could not log into POP server: Could not connect to server: unknown reason

THIS SERVER HAS NOW HAD 5 ERRORS IN A ROW AND HAS BEEN
DISABLED. PLEASE LOG IN TO YOUR ACCOUNT AND GO TO
Settings -> Import & Setup -> Mail Fetch -> View and edit
TO REVIEW THE DETAILS OF THIS SERVER AND TO RE-ENABLE IT.
In the past they used to send a notification for each of these 5 failures and then a notification about disabling the link.

Until the end of August 2011 these notifications came from "Pop/Hotmail retrieval system <bounce@messagingengine.com>" (with "Reply-To:webmaster@messagingengine.com") and the subject line said "linkname (Err#x) Pop/Hotmail retrieval error" (where linkname is the name of the fetch link and x a number between 1 and 5).
At the end of August this change to notifications coming from "FastMail.FM Administrator <webmaster@fastmail.fm>" (with "Reply-To:FastMail.FM Support <support@fastmail.fm>") and subject line saying "linkname (Err#x) Pop retrieval error".
In August 2013 this change to just sending "From: The FastMail Team <support@fastmail.fm>" (no Reply-to, and the same subject line as before).
All of this time there where also messages with subject "linkname LINK DISABLED. Pop retrieval error".

Some time between September and December 2018 the Subject line was changed to: "linkname (Err#x) Fetch mail retrieval error" or "linkname FETCH MAIL DISABLED. Mail fetch retrieval error" (also some words inside the message).
Some time between june 2020 and august 2020 the notification messages changed from plain text to html. I was still getting notifications for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th errors (no disabled link for me during that time).
Since January 2021 I do not get any of these numbered errors. Only "DISABLED" notifications that state that there have been 5 errors in a row and the link was disabled.
My POP retrieval from Hotmail was disabled 5 times during the past 10 years, and received more than 200 messages about retrieval errors.

Last edited by hadaso : 2 Jul 2022 at 11:59 PM. Reason: typos
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote