View Single Post
Old 4 Oct 2008, 05:31 AM   #12
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhak View Post
That's right some people are not continually online. I keep forgetting that.
That's probably somewhat easier to remember for us primitives still on dialup (presumably a small, dying species soon to be extinct ). But now that I think of it, that's probably one reason I originally gradually abandoned email clients and went to webmail exclusively in the first place. As the number of messages (and perhaps the size of some of them as well) gradually began to increase, I got tired of waiting for dozens of new emails to download, of which I might only end up opening a couple any time soon. Whereas, it was actually much faster to just view a list of what was in my Inbox in a webmail interface, without having to download anything more than just that list first. Of course, that was with POP, before IMAP was quite as widely available as it is now, and (at least as far as I know) standard POP clients didn't have provision for downloading just the headers of messages. But of course, this is beside the present point as well....

Quote:
Good manners suggest that there are four basic options:
  • Provide a single link to multiple images.
    • You want to share your vacation photos with family and friends, send them a link to a single webpage, do not insert a link to each image in the message and certainly do not attach or embed the images.
  • Insert a link for each image into your message.
    • Ok if a few small images, and if expected by the recipient. This is how most email ads are formatted.
  • Attach a single or small number of images.
    • If they have been requested, and the size of the email has been discussed in advance.
  • Embed a small number of small images at certain locations amidst the text if necessary for understanding.
    • Such as equations or images of dialog boxes if explaining a math problem or computer software setup. Again, as expected or requested.
Pretty much agree on all points. In fact, I don't like it much at all when someone sends me 20 or 30 or more (sometimes LARGE) images attached to a single email. Fortunately that doesn't happen too often, but for that reason, if I wanted to send someone that many images at once, I'd probably either break them into a smaller number attached to two or more messages (if I was pretty sure they actually wanted copies of all the images), otherwise (and probably more likely in most cases), I'd just send them a link to an online album, which is easy enough to do with so many services providing convenient facilities for that purpose these days, many of them free.

But although, as I said, I can't recall ever doing it myself, I can understand the advantage of embedding images in some cases, where they "fit" in the context of the message, as in the examples you've suggested.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote