View Single Post
Old 6 Oct 2016, 07:20 AM   #9
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

An idea that occured to me: putting that functionality (where to file a copy of the sent message) in the "message options" section was conceptually wrong. Business memos (of the good old paper type) often has a list of "cc" recipient, and often some of these "recipients" are not actually recipients but rather archives of files where copies of the memo are to be filed. Filing a copy of an outgoing email message in the "Sent items" folder or any other folder is the same sort of thing. So it seems to me that the "correct" way to think of this is that the "Sent items" folder (or another folder designated in a pesonality/identity explicitly in the "message options" section in the classic interface) is a bcc recipient that receives a copy of the email. So "morally" it should have been in the "to/cc/bcc" section in the classic interface (I think it was in that area of the screen in the very old FM webmail client more than 10 years ago).

This probably mean that it may be possible for me to "hack" the functionality in the new interface by sending myself a bcc copy and using Sieve to file it where I want it. But it would be a pain and prone to errors compared to selecting a folder from a dropdown menu in the classic interface.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote